Changing Career to Sports and Fitness

Being made redundant is never fun.
But for me, it gave me that kick to take a chance on a career change.
I’ve loved writing my blog for the past three years- it’s given me amazing experiences and opportunities, transformed me into a fitter more confident person and made me realise that talking all things health and fitness is what I want to do with my life.

But giving up a career that you’ve trained for at University, particularly one in a high-paying field is scary. It felt wrong to throw that away, but equally wrong to continue to slog on in a job that I wasn’t giving 100% to, because I didn’t feel passionately about it.
Switching to an entry level position, starting again at the bottom, could be a huge risk but it’s one I’m incredibly excited about. I know I’ll look forward to getting up and going to work in the morning because I can’t wait to see what I’ll learn today, and I’m enthusiastic about the prospects for the future- full of ideas as to how being in the fitness industry can help grow my career and my blog.
The financial side of things is obviously a big concern for me – to be approaching 30 and take a salary of a graduate means a lot of cutbacks and money juggling. Having bought my own flat a year ago, I’m determined not to lose that, so as long as I can pay the mortgage and bills, I’ll be fine. If I have to eat eggs on toast for dinner 3 days a week, and turn down all invitations to dinner/shows/gigs/holidays that’s ok! I know (hope) it will be worth it in the long run.

The future is still uncertain but I’m feeling positive and I will keep you guys updated.
I’d love to hear from those of you who have taken the leap to do something you love, even if it came with compromises along the way! I’m hoping to feature some budget eating ideas as well, as I learn how to curb my cravings for expensive nut butters and silence that inner shopaholic!

Beki x

Share on
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

No Comments

• Reply thatsquatbot.com

This was me five years ago! I was working as a veterinary nurse and although so many would love to do it, it just wasn't for me. Now I'm just about finishing a Masters degree and hopefully will be going into a dream grad job! It was very hard going from a decent salary to a part time job and student loan but I've managed. The past year I've lived off about £800 a month, bills included – I've found that if you make cutbacks here and there (ie shop at Aldi or don't go out as much) you CAN treat yourself to a posh nut butter every so often. I'm excited for you!!
    Xx

May 16, 2015 at 2:28 pm
  • Reply thatsquatbot.com

Also – I'd probably pitch myself as having strong transferable skills & experience of working under pressure, in a team etc etc which most graduates won't have, so I'd be asking for more money.. ?

May 16, 2015 at 3:21 pm
  • Reply Tess @ FitBits

Ooooh Beki this is exciting, what's the new job? I daydream about doing this daily, but haven't had the balls to make the move yet – making steps to do so soonish though!

May 17, 2015 at 12:54 pm
  • Reply Sophie Kay

I switched from advertising to being a Personal Trainer when I got made redundant too and it's brilliant! I still do a few days each week in an ad agency while I make the full-time switch over but I definitely don't regret moving away from an industry that I gave 6 years of my life to. Good luck x

May 17, 2015 at 2:20 pm
  • Reply Victoria

Wow, your attitude to such a huge change is enormously inspiring, wish you the very best of luck with things xx

May 17, 2015 at 3:24 pm
  • Reply Tenminutesspare

Just wanted to say good luck with the new career. It sounds like you've turned what could have been a really tough situation into something incredibly positive. Looking forwards to following more of your journey.

May 17, 2015 at 6:47 pm
  • Reply Beki Cadd

Thanks for sharing- its great that you decided to follow your passions! I hope you get the awesome job you deserve after you graduate. And thanks for the tips on salary- will def be taking your advice 😉 xx

May 17, 2015 at 7:33 pm
  • Reply Beki Cadd

Will share the details once everything is confirmed – didn't want to be too specific yet! And thanks 🙂 Good luck with your plans X

May 17, 2015 at 7:34 pm
  • Reply Beki Cadd

That's so great to hear that other people have made redundancy into something positive! Would love to hear how you made the Personal Training a success 🙂 thanks for reading x

May 17, 2015 at 7:35 pm
  • Reply Beki Cadd

Thanks so much Victoria! 🙂

May 17, 2015 at 7:36 pm
  • Reply Beki Cadd

Thank you, I really appreciate all the lovely comments! I'm trying to keep positive and look on it as an opportunity even if it's a bit stressful figuring out where things go next 🙂

May 17, 2015 at 7:36 pm